Volume challenged hair is a thing. It's a big thing actually and trust us, we know how frustrating it can be...we hear it all the time. In fact, it's on the top 5 "things I hate about my hair" list. How can you fake a fuller look you wonder? Here are 8 easy tips and tricks to giving your hair all that gorgeous body honey!
1. Utilizing the right products. Products are amazing and work wonders, but only if you use them the correct way and in the correct order.
- Start with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner combo. Here's the trick- shampoo at the roots and really scrub. Remove any product buildup or oil that is weighing your hair down. Condition CORRECTLY! My ladies with fine hair- you do not need to be conditioning at the root! Conditioner will only serve to make that hair lay flat. Condition through your ends and rinse it out thoroughly!
*Pro Tip: Try R+Co's 'Analog" cleansing foam conditioner! This lightweight formula is perfect for keeping that hair bouncy.
- Should you use a volume spray, root booster, or thickening foam? It's all about the hair you have and the hair you want to achieve. A volume spray, like R+Co's 'Dallas' is perfect for someone with medium to long hair, who is looking for big Texas volume! It adds body and shine, but may be a bit too heavy for someone with extra fine hair. A root boost, like L'anza's 'Root Effects' is a mousse formula that lifts and supports the hair at the root, and adds a strong hold. Perfect for hair that can't seem to hold a style throughout the day. A thickening foam, like R+Co's 'Rodeo Star' is perfect for someone with fine to medium hair of any length. This non-sticky formula adds density to the hair throughout and gives dramatic volume
- Use a dry shampoo at the root to give the hair some grit, and structure to hold volume, especially on day 2 or 3 hair! R+Co offers several different dry shampoo types (aerosol spray, powder spray, and paste, depending on your hair type, and styling preferences.
*Pro Tip: Grab a mini 'Death Valley' dry shampoo and keep it in your purse for root touch ups throughout the day!
2. Color! Not only does color plump the hair shaft, giving you a bit more fullness, it can also be applied using several different techniques that add the illusion of thickness. Contrast between colors can give you the look of fullness by tricking the eye!